Update!

4 years have passed.. I have however rediscovered a passion for writing about food!

****

I have just moved back to my home city of Edinburgh after 9 years in Brighton. My passion in life is food. I eat food, I cook food, I read about food and I work with food. Mostly all I talk about is food - and I must be honest - sometimes I preach about food....

Moving back to Edinburgh after so long is a dream come true, I have been excited about exploring my fabulous city as an adult for many years. However as a newbie to the city - I feel lost!

"No, I dont know that pub..."
"What street is that on?...Oh, where is that?"
"What did it used to be called?"

I grew up in Edinburgh, so I am forever being asked by visiting friends where the cool places to go are. This is my mission - to be able to answer this question and to show off the fabulously quirky, interesting and unique side of Edinburgh. Essentially to find somewhere good to take my friend Adam...

Tuesday 16 September 2014

Company

“We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink, for dining alone is leading the life of a lion or wolf”Epicurus

In my last and indeed previous blogs, I have mentioned the importance or at least the significance of the people who were to share my experience.  It is true that company can transform mediocre food into a great meal - as long as the wine is flowing and the conversation is stimulating.  The word company is derived from 'companio', someone you share bread with, the roots are the Latin words cum, "with", and panis "bread".  It seems that having someone to share food with is an intrinsic part of our eating experience.  I believe, however, that this is only one way of looking at food.

A militant vegetarian for example will greatly detract from your enjoyment of eating a rare steak; no doubt their disapproving glances will instil a level of guilt as you spread bone marrow onto bread and mop up the blood and juices...  Let's also bear in mind the conversation that happened before the steak even hit the pan...
            "White wine will go better with my salad."
            "Yes, but I would like a full bodied red to match my steak" (which costs about three
            times as much as the grass you are about to consume)
            "Let's compromise, how about rose?"
            "Let's never speak again".
Eating with and in front of  someone takes a degree of trust.  Long gone are the days when we fear poisoning by our host, first asking our poor servant to try it; but let's consider the first date scenario!  I am sure I am not alone when I say that I do not like eating in front of strangers, especially those that I am attracted to.  Many things have to be considered, obviously the spinach in the teeth situation, but further more - can you eat that spaghetti without re-accessorising your outfit with tomato sauce polka dots?

Even your best companion can pilfer the pleasure to be gained from some food moments.  I am currently sitting by my balconette, soaking up the last of the early morning sunshine in early September; enjoying an espresso, a glass of sparkling water and an almond croissant.  I am savouring every fold of the delicate pastry, every flake of almond that falls into my lap.  My lips are covered in icing sugar, my fingers are sticky and all is bliss.  Should my nearest and dearest be here, this would be a very different moment.  My concentration would be divided, apparently it is not polite to ignore people for pastry (even if you paid £2 for it).  The conversation would be entertaining and there would be the chance of them getting me a second espresso but I would be feeling a different level of contentment.  Since Monday afternoon when I booked my darling scooter in for a service up at Abbeyhill, I have planned on popping into Manna House on Easter Road for an almond croissant to bring home and enjoy with espresso.  A simple pleasure, a pure pleasure, but most of all a planned pleasure to be enjoyed with myself.

My solo eating is not always so contrived, or indeed indulgent.  What you choose to eat when there is no one else around is an important part of what makes us individuals, it exposes a bit of your true character.  Are you a lazy eater?  A picker?  Do you go for healthy food?  Or is a take away the way forward?  None of these take a higher position than the other, and often it depends on our moods and what the day has entailed.  I would like to consider our 'dirtier' food habits - what gives you pleasure that you would never admit? - and certainly not blog about!  My name is Nicola, I am a foodie (for all that phrase means) and I sometimes eat corned beef from a can with Smash.  This dish reminds me of being a child and camping with my father; it reminds me I grew up in the 80's (and that I should be having Angel Delight for pudding!); it reminds me of the working class background I grew up in; it helps me to rediscover myself and my home.  It is a dish full of pride.  It is a dish that would require more justifying than a plate of pasta, and therefore best kept just for me.  I come from a mixed background without a food tradition to cling onto (I don't think Matzo counts as a tradition on its own), this is all I have.  Let us not hide our solo eating - celebrate the special moment you are having.  A true expression of yourself, your family and even your heritage through your individual food choices.


Sometimes to dine alone seems pointless, but sometimes it is the simplest pleasure.  Sometimes I do not want the share my bread - sometimes I want to bite the end of a baguette and lead the life of a lion or a wolf!

No comments:

Post a Comment