Update!

4 years have passed.. I have however rediscovered a passion for writing about food!

****

I have just moved back to my home city of Edinburgh after 9 years in Brighton. My passion in life is food. I eat food, I cook food, I read about food and I work with food. Mostly all I talk about is food - and I must be honest - sometimes I preach about food....

Moving back to Edinburgh after so long is a dream come true, I have been excited about exploring my fabulous city as an adult for many years. However as a newbie to the city - I feel lost!

"No, I dont know that pub..."
"What street is that on?...Oh, where is that?"
"What did it used to be called?"

I grew up in Edinburgh, so I am forever being asked by visiting friends where the cool places to go are. This is my mission - to be able to answer this question and to show off the fabulously quirky, interesting and unique side of Edinburgh. Essentially to find somewhere good to take my friend Adam...

Friday 17 September 2010

International Starters

Mum is fussy about her food, nothing too spicy (Indian food makes her drunk apparently!) Dad and I will literally eat anything and everything and B, as always, was on a quest for nachos...  Where better than International Starters.  The usual truism of 'Jack of all trades, master of none' need not apply to here, and lets face it - where else can you indulge in crisps from around the world (tortila chips, popadoms, prawn crackers) and call it dinner?!  There are many different styles of Tapas restaurants around these days; I read an article once acusing owners of using it as a trick to get more money from the customers.  Perhaps we do spend more than we would normally, and invariably there is always too much food as the last dish turns up to polite smiles and stifled groans.  But, I personally enjoy tasting lots of different dishes - order unwisely in a normal restaurant and you are stuck, at least here you are almost guarenteed to leave with a smile and a stuffed tummy! 

I have been here to International Starters a few times before and I have enjoyed it everytime.  My particular favourite dish is the crispy haggis parcels, these are served hot with a whisky and mustard sauce that just works so well and adds just the right amount of sweet to the intense savoury of the haggis.  I could eat solely from the Scottish section of the menu and be a happy girl; prawns and mussels and salmon, oh my!  The Americas, Mediteranian and Asian sections offer up sooo many delights - it is difficult to choose.  Lets not even get started on the platters for sharing, they could cause a family feud - well Dad and I would certaily
fight over the scallops au gratin!  I am looking at the menu now online and I am very nearly making my way down there...  However the recipes are available on the website for some of the more popular dishes - a fantastically confident and friendly touch, so I may have a go at making my own 'Goan Discovery'!

As much as I like this restaurant, I think that it is one that should be saved for large groups; for those true family moments. (Simply to make sure that you get a taste of everything on the menu!)  It is a fantastic concept, and it is not over complicated by the setting, which is simple and fuss free.  As a night out destination though, it is a wee bit out of the way as it is not in the centre of Edinburgh.  But, I am still getting to know the North-East side of the city, and Leith still remains practically unknown to me.  Maybe if Adam has an early train to catch the next day and we fancied a quieter night... or a pub crawl on the way home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment